Foot manipulation is a non-invasive treatment that utilizes ‘hands-on’ techniques of joint mobilization, combined with corrective exercises to address the cause of foot, heel, ankle, leg, knee, hip and back pain. Our gentle and painless technique stimulates the body’s inherent to repair and restore itself.
There is a total of ten visits for the treatment to be effective. Each visit will promote the following restoration processes:
- Improve mobility by breaking up adhesions and restriction around the joints.
- Improve postural stability by stimulating the body’s proproceptive(balancing) system.
- Improve muscle strength by invigorating the efferent nerve messages from the brain to the relevant muscles.
- Reduce the ‘pain messsages’ sent to the brain by stimulating the joint mechanoreceptors’ which suppress the Type IV nocireceptor to the brain.
While the treatment only takes a few minutes, the improvement lasts for 48 to 72 hours. If the treatment is repeated consistently, the positive effects will continue to last longer due to the accumulative capacity of treatments.
MyORTHO Consultants & Specialist utilise manipulation to help mobilise patients feet and help cure foot pathology. Manipulation can be used to prevent surgery and the need to prescribe drugs or expensive custom made functional foot orthotics. The results of manipulations are varied a single manipulation can cure months of pain whilst several manipulations may be needed for more complex problems. On the reverse side of the coin manipulation may not yield any positive effects to help pain and discomfort. A practitioner will need to assess a presenting complaint before an effective manipulation treatment plan can be formulated. Manipulation can be used in conjunction with several other treatment modalities to achieve the best results.
Why Use Foot Manipulation?
- Suitable for patients unwilling to undergo surgery, or take medication
- Increase the range of motion within a joint
- Useful for patients unsuitable for surgery / drug intervention.
- Rehabilitation of sports injuries and surgery
What Foot Conditions Will Respond to Manipulation?
This is not an exhaustive list but major conditions include: –
- Alternative to surgical procedures (neuroma excision, athrodesis).
- Improve range of motion is “stiff” joints
- Nerve entrapment conditions i.e. Deep Peroneal, Sural, Tibial neves, etc. All these nerves have been demonstrated to cause some for entrapment and symptoms.
- Release muscle spasm, improve muscle function and strength
- Foot surgery and sports injuries.
When is Foot Manipulation Not Useful?
- Severe Osteoporosis – high velocity techniques could fracture bones.
- The possibility of a diagnosis of a fracture in an area to be manipulated.
- Unstable joints where ligaments / tendons tear could occur.
- Any health complaint where the muscular system could be impaired.
- Basically and bone pathology or inflammatory state around a joint
Foot manipulation when administered in a safe way (GOOD PATIENT SCREENING) is an extremely cheap and effective treatment. MyORTHO administer foot manipulations to help various problems within the foot. MyORTHO have been manipulating feet for several years now and we have seen a large number of patients which have benefited from this technique of treatment.
If you would like to book an appointment for manipulation or like more information then please do not hesitate to contact us.